Friday, February 13, 2009

On this 3 day weekend.........plus an RAK!

Please drive safe and please take a minute to listen to this.....


As many of you know, this summer my 19 year old brother-in-law was killed by a drunk driver. (Link to the first post after he was killed , just click on "newer" posts at the bottom and it will chronologically take you through my blog as I have a ton more posts on him and the situation.) The loss has just been beyond difficult for our family and friends to deal with. My in-laws are still devastated and it has changed their lives forever. There is so much sadness for them everyday. The impact has been deep for everyone involved but please let it make a difference. Please let this inspire us to make changes and change the laws to protect others.


There is a legislative proposal that would make the Ignition Interlock mandatory in the last 42 states that haven't already made it mandatory.

This is SO easy to sign and send...all you do is click on this link Ignition Interlocks for convicted DUI drivers and fill out name, address etc on the left side and send, it's already written for you. You may add to it if you want or just keep it in the form letter. Takes 2 minutes.

from the MADD site----
"In 2007, almost 13,000 people were killed in crashes involving a drunk driver. Fortunately, there is a technology that has the potential to eliminate these preventable deaths -- the ignition interlock. These sophisticated devices can prevent a vehicle from being driven by a drunk driver. If they are used correctly -- in concert with treatment, in addition to hard license suspensions and in the vehicles until they are no longer needed -- they can stop repeat offenses.

People who have previous drunk driving convictions make up approximately one-third of the drunk driving problem in America. These are people who have been failed by a system that has in turn failed to keep the rest of us safe. Even first-time offenses are serious indicators that a person is likely to become a repeat offender. First-time offenders have driven drunk an average of 87 times before they are convicted and most likely have a serious problem with alcohol.

Studies have shown that ignition interlocks can decrease repeat offenses by 64%. We have the technology and we know how to reverse the trend, but the laws haven't been passed yet making this technology mandatory for ALL convicted DUI offenders.

Currently eight states mandate or provide strong incentives for ignition interlocks for all persons convicted of DUI -- Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Mexico and Washington. If you are a resident of one of the other 42 states contact your legislators and tell them you support saving lives and eliminating repeat drunk driving offenses by mandating ignition interlocks for all convicted DUI offenders.
"

In case you missed the link it's here ----> Ignition Interlocks for convicted DUI drivers


and I'm going to be doing my first RAK.............here's the skinny on it.....

You MUST click on the above link (honesty policy here) AND post a message on my blog. I will randomly draw a name ONE week from today. Next Friday morning (Feb. 20), I will draw a name and send you out a GOOD RAK.

So remember, 2 things.....click on the link (and if you agree with the legislation and live in one of the 42 states left, then please fill it out and send) and leave me a message on my blog!

I of course would love it if you sent out a link (for the Ignition Interlock Campaign) to all your friends and family but I know that's a lot to ask.


So, have a great 3 Day weekend and please be safe!!

~Katie

23 comments:

vintage girl at heart said...

I clicked for IAN.
((No rack for me though I rec'd my wonderful goodies from you last summer...It is someone else's turn!))
Hope you have a huge amount of people clicking for the cause!!
Have a relaxin' weekend!

Dawn in OKC said...

I live in a state that doesn't have the law yet put in place so I was able to send the letter to 3 of my legislators. It's the right thing to do!! What 3 day weekend is it? I don't get a day off!!

Ms. Cheryl said...

I visited the site and was glad to see Louisiana was one of the 8 states already recognizing the ignition interlocks. I did however put the link on my blog:
http://www.mycraftivity.com/nayhddy/blog/?message=WW91ciBwb3N0IGhhcyBub3cgYmVlbiBzdWJtaXR0ZWQh
I hope this helps in some small way.
Thank you so much for offering the RAK , ms.cheryl

the gypsy magpie said...

Thanks for the site link... it seems like something so sensible and yet we don't have it EVERYWHERE, protecting EVERYONE.

Anonymous said...

I am in Florida and this needs to be put into place. I filled out all my information and it is being sent to governer charlie christ. Thank you for having this on your blog and god bless Ian and his family.
Jeannie

Anonymous said...

You dont have to offer a RAK to get me to click but it is nice! I would love anything you are sending. I click for IAN also and the many other out there and their families that suffer this horrific sensless loss of life. Hope you and your family have a nice weekend. I work at a bank but we are always open on Presidents day so I have to wait for my 3 day weekend.
Jennifer
(your biggest fan)

Heidi said...

Katie-

I went and sent in the letter to everyone in CA. I am also sending this on to my family. WHY isn't this the law in all 50 state? It just doesn't make sense to not have this as a law. I am here in SD, please let me know if there is ever anything else I can do here locally to help with this fight.

Heidi

krista said...

Done! Such an important thing to do and spread the word on. Thanks for sharing the link!

Sheila Rumney said...

I definitely had to click for IAN and your family! I hope this helps!

Unknown said...

Katie,
My heart goes out to you and your family. I also Clicked for Ian and the others who are killed everyday by senseless Drunk Drivers. I will pass this link on to all my friends and family.
Happy Valentines Day! :)

Cyndi said...

I tried, but for some reason my state (Virginia) isn't eligible. I am sending the link to my family members in eligible states...we have lost loved ones to drunk drivers too.

Leah C said...

No incentive necessary...I've been a supporter of MADD for a long time. Today, I "clicked" for Ian.

BethW said...

Done-will also post on Fiskateer message board. No RAK needed here-just glad to find out about this. It's unconscionable that this even has to be issue. We have to stop drunk driving now-no matter what it takes.

Wendy said...

Very important info! Just seems like common sense to me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to MADD. Hope this will get passed. Your apple book....amazing...how do you think like that?
I will hopefully be in your upcoming class, got my babysitter, just need to pay now!
xo-Samantha

BethW7372 said...

I clicked too, word of honor here. And I LOVE your apple album, it's so cute, it's just fabulous.

lwarren737 said...

Happy belated Valentine's Day. I did click the link, thanks for passing it on and bringing attention to it, and I'd love to win the RAK. I love your work, especially that apple album you just posted.

CrystalMN said...

I live in Minnesota and we don't have this law yet. Thank you for bringing this to my attention I think it would be wise for all states to have such a law. I sent an email to 3 of my legislators, hope they support this legislation!

Crystal

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I clicked and sent the letter to 3 Georgia legislators. I am passing this along to everyone I can reach.

Aisha Powell said...

I clicked! I followed your story here on the blog. I am so sorry for your loss. I was more than happy to write to our legislators. Also. I sent emails to my family. God Bless you and your family!

Jennifer said...

I sent the letter to my 3 legislators in Mississippi. I hope this does get put in place!

Jennifer said...

I clicked and was glad to see that my state - Washington - is one of the states with that in place. My thoughts and prayers for you and your family, as you continue to heal.

Unknown said...

Katie - I just saw this for the first time, and clicked on the link to send it to our governor and two other legislators. We don't have this in place in NH, but it's an amazing concept and should be in place nationwide! Sorry for your family's loss, but I'm just glad I found it. I was browsing ALL of your amazing work, and enjoying all of it. You are one talented lady! I scraplifted your little cottage (most of it) and will post it somewhere to show you how you inspired me!!!!! Kathy